Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Pretty Good Day


I had a pretty good day at work today - and I'm really glad I did, because I kind of needed it. The beginning of this week was not kind to me. I had to leave work early Monday and Tuesday because I had to get a chipped tooth fixed - twice in a row. Which meant that I had to stay long the last two days to make up time. On top of which, I had to get up super-early on Wednesday, because we were scheduled to take a "field trip" to the Wilmington yards to test out mobile units (with gps! and camera!) So I got up about 2 hours earlier than I usually do. Ouch.

Of course, when I got to work on Wednesday, as soon as I got off the train I found out our trip had been cancelled, because there was a problem with the system. So no field trip for me - just a three-large-cups-of-coffee-long-ass day in the office. Am I weird because I'm excited that I am getting safety shoes?

But today was a good day, and it made up for the rest of the week.

On my train ride in, a woman sat next to me that told me she had never taken the train before, and she had to go to the city for jury duty. So we started talking about taking the train, and I gave her tons of advice (Suburban Station is also called City Hall, so listen for either, if you get confused ask a Transit Cop - every one I've talked to has been super nice, etc etc) and we chatted about taking the train and jury duty. She was really nice and it was a pleasant way to start off the day.

Then I had two really good meetings, and may have a major project (possibly two) to tackle soon. I can't wait! I have been going a little stir crazy getting settled into my new job. As Boomer would agree, the Polish work ethic is a curse. I have been there six weeks now, and have spent a great majority of that time with really nothing to do. It was driving me absolutely mad. I started wandering the floor and looking for people to ask questions to, and offer to help out in any way I could. So try to understand why I am stoked about having something to really sink my teeth into. (and also why I was disappointed that the trip to DE got cancelled)

It's definitely a different environment than I have been used to for the last NINE years. I must admit that I am a bit spoiled, being used to high-walled cubicles, break rooms with free coffee and full-sized fridges, not to mention other benefits and niceties. Knowing exactly what is expected of me and how to meet and exceed those goals. Knowing the lay of the land and where to get information. I am in an odd mix of familiar elements and unfamiliar. Trying to get my bearings. Struggling with it on some days, which is why I choose to make note and celebrate the good ones. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment