Monday, January 12, 2009

Gold stars for everyone!

I recently bought a copy of "Hudson Hawk" on dvd on Amazon's Marketplace. I received it, no problems, in good shape. Yesterday, I got a message from the seller...

"I shipped your order by first class mail on monday. I can't ship any faster. However, you seem unhappy with your order, since you penalized me in your feedback. I trust the brand new movie was satisfactory. Jim"

I scratched my head when I read this. I couldn't think of anything I said bad about this guy, since I hadn't had a problem with the disc. So I went onto Amazon to check what kind of feedback I had left this poor guy.

In fact, here is exactly the feedback I left for the seller:

(4 of 5 stars)

"DVD received in good condition, with reasonable ship time."


So I wrote back with the following:

"Jim, I'm sorry if you feel that I have "penalized" you. I don't see anything negative about a 4star rating. I did not say anything derogatory about the dvd or the service. I just don't hand out 5 stars unless the service was above and beyond. Sorry, Sharon"

Look, this whole "give everyone a gold star, everyone's a winner, everyone gets an A just for showing up" crap has got to stop. In my mind, if you have a 5 star scale, you save the 5 for "over and above", someone that really goes the extra mile. If I had ordered the dvd and it showed up the very next day at my house gift-wrapped with a friendly note, that would have been one thing. But don't whine to me that I only gave you 4 stars, that I have "penalized" you. That's just retarded. If everyone gives the same feedback like

"A++++++++++++++++++!!!!! GREAT SELLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!"

Then none of it means anything. How do you, as a buyer, determine what's what? That's right, you can't. So Jim, either step it up or suck it up. No gold star for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment